By Chris Feeny • @iubase17 • July 22
It was a scorcher of a Summer weekend all around the country and plenty of Hoosier Alumni and Summer Leaguers stayed hot as well. Here are some of the Hoosier Highlights from the weekend.
• Sam Travis hit his first home run of the season for the Boston Red Sox.
• Alex Dickerson had a big offensive weekend which moved him into tenth all time for doubles and first all time in slugging for Hoosier Alumni. Info via @ProBallHoosiers
#iubase MLB doubles leaders:
1. Ted Kluszewski: 290
2. Mickey Morandini: 209
3. Pinky May: 102
4. Kevin Orie: 64
5. Josh Phegley*: 63
6. Kyle Schwarber*: 52
7. John Wehner: 33
8. Mike Simon: 28
9. Sammy Esposito: 27
10. Alex Dickerson* 24
#iubase Slugging % leaders (min 100 ABs):
1. Alex Dickerson*: .500
2. Ted Kluszewski: .498
3. Kyle Schwarber*: .472
4. Kevin Orie: .389
5. Josh Phegley*: .387
6. Doug DeVore: .374
7. Mickey Morandini: .359
8. Pinky May: .337
9. Sam Travis*: .329
10. John Wehner: .315
• Josh Phegley hit his tenth home run of the season giving him a new career high.
He now joins this list as Hoosier Alumni with double digit homer seasons. Info via @ProBallHoosiers.
Ted Kluszewski (9 times)
Kyle Schwarber (4 times)
Alex Dickerson (once)
• Jonathan Stiever continued his dominance at the Short A Level for the Winston Salem Dash. His latest outing was 7 IP, 2 H, 0 R, 0 BB, 9 K. He also was interviewed by the Winston Salem Dash Podcast which you can check out here. Some time spent talking about his days as a Hoosier and life as a minor leaguer.
• Craig Dedelow hit two 2 run homers Sunday giving him 13 for the season.
• Tanner Gordon threw 2 more scoreless innings for the Danville Braves including striking out the side to start his performance. He’s up to 16k’s in 10 innings.
• Tim Herrin is not with the Scrappers anymore but his shutout streak continues. First appearance for Lake County was good for 2.2 IP with no hits and no runs allowed.
• Elijah Dunham will be representing the Ocean State Waves in the NECBL All Star Game.
Dunham also had a 2 homer game on Friday night giving him six bombs for the season.
• Braydon Tucker (Terre Haute Rex) won his second Player of the Night Award in the Prospect League for his 9 strikeout performance Saturday Night. That’s 21 K’s in his last two games for Tucker.
Prospect League Release – The Prospect League Prospect(us) Pitcher of the Day is Terre Haute, starter Braydon Tucker, (W, 3-1, 3.58 ERA), from Brazil, IN, a graduate from Northview High School and a freshman at Indiana University, won his third straight game, giving the REX 5.1 strong innings on the mound, giving up just two runs to a good Danville offense, on three hits and two walks, while striking out nine of the 21 batters he faced in the REX win over the Dans.
• Braden Scott started his first game for the Morehead City Marlins going four innings giving up 3 runs on 6 hits with 4 K’s. Scott has been a reliever all summer for the Marlins with 32 K’s in 26 innings and 2 saves. With next season’s rotation uncertain, looks like Scott could be in the mix.
For updates on all Hoosier Baseball in the News you can follow iubase.com on Twitter @iubase17 , InstaGram @iubase or join the #iubase Facebook Fan Group.