By Josh Bennett • @jmbennett22 • May 2
This weekend the Hoosiers have a huge conference match-up in Champaign Illinois against the Fighting Illini. This series presents an opportunity that could be a season-defining moment for IU Baseball as it is significant for both a run to the B1G Title as well securing a marquee series win to add to the post season resume.
Illinois comes in with a 29-15 record overall, are tied for 5th in the conference at 8-7, are 13-3 at home, and as of Monday morning had an RPI of 20, making them the only B1G squad that was ahead of Indiana.
The Illini got off to a slow conference start at 1-5 but have been on fire since then by going 7-2, including taking last weekend’s series at Nebraska. They had 2 mid-week games, while we were taking finals, and lost the first one 12-3 at Southern Illinois, and won the second 5-2 at home against Indiana State.
Bats to Watch
- SR CF Zac Taylor – .352 BA, leads team with 7 HR, 29 R, 15-17 SB.
- JR 2B Michael Massey – .340 BA, leads team with 52 H, and is the defending Rawlings GG award winner at 2B.
- SR 3B Grant Van Scoy – the 7 hole hitter is leading the team with a .357 BA.
- Team – 3 hitting over .340, .284 Batting average as a team with 29 HR and 47-59 for steal attempts on the season.
Pitchers to Expect
- Friday – 5yr SR LHP Andy Fisher – 5-1, 2.98 ERA, 70K in 66 IP
- Saturday – JR RHP Ty Weber – 3-1, 2.85 ERA in 53 IP
- Sunday – JR RHP Cyrillo Watson – 4-1, 3.38 ERA in 56 IP
- Closer – JR RHP Garrett Acton – 2-2, 14 saves, 1.90 ERA has allowed 7 H in 23 2/3 IP, with 26K and a .099 BA against.
- Team – 3.51 ERA, .231 BA and average 8.5K/game.
Illinois looks like a strong team both offensively and on the mound. It should be a good test for the guys as they try to make a run at a Big Ten title and improve their postseason resume. Hopefully they can cool off a hot Illini squad this weekend.
Champaign is about a 3 hour drive from Bloomington, and they have free admission to all games. The weather looks outstanding with high 60’s to low 70’s and sun all weekend.
Take a nice Saturday or Sunday drive or even make a weekend of it and catch the Hoosiers on the road!
- Friday 7PM (EASTERN) – Bleacher Bum BBQ
- Saturday 4PM – Derby Day
- Sun 2PM – Goat Day – they will have a petting zoo for the kids.
On the Air
Indiana University will be providing an audio play by play link via Hoosier Country 105.1 for all three games.
There is a video feed for all three games provided by BTN Plus
Team Rosters / Team Stats